Humidifiers are the best type of equipment that you can buy so that you can use it to moisten your house thereby making it easier for you to breathe. It is normal for the humidifier to get dirty with time as it may catch some dust from the surrounding environment.
When the humidifier had a dirty chamber or filter it may pump some dangerous bacteria into the surrounding air in your house. The best thing is that it is possible for you to clean the humidifier using some simple local techniques.
How to clean your humidifier?
There are some things that you require when you wish to clean your humidifier, some of them are:
- Soft bristle brush
- One large saucepan
- Household bleach
- White vinegar
- White vinegar/water mixture in a spray bottle( this will assist you to conduct spot cleaning
Procedure for cleaning your humidifier
1. You must unplug your humidifier first before you start to dismantle it into parts for easy cleaning. You must ensure that the water tank of the humidifier is separate from the base and the filter. You must make sure that you carefully remove the housing of the motor and set it aside. You have to hold the filter under the faucet and rinse it using cold water so that you can wash away any impurities which may exist. Place it in the best place where it can dry, and you continue to clean the remaining parts of the humidifier.
You should not use any cleaning solution when you are cleaning the filter. This is because some chemicals may permanently damage your, therefore, hindering its functionality.
In case you have a type of humidifier which has a filter which needs to be changed from time to time, then you must check the instructions given by the manufacturer and the change the filter as recommended.
2. You must feel the tank with water after that you can add 3 cups of vinegar. Try to fill the large saucepan with 2 cups of white vinegar and water. Place some vinegar/water at the filter in the saucepan and allow it to sit for about half an hour. The vinegar will act as a cleanser which will loosen the build up at the bottom of the humidifier water tank. You have to rinse the water tank when you are through.
In case it becomes difficult for you to remove the dirt, then you can scrub away any grime which may exist the bottom of the water tank. It is not good for you to use any other type of cleaner since it can lead to damage your water. In case you are unable to use a brush, then you can use some tablespoons of rice, vinegar, and water so that you can make a loose slurry. After that you can close your water tank, agitate vigorously for about 5 minutes, and them allow it to remain standing for about 10 minutes. Repeat the process until all the grime has been completely dislodged. Rinse it thoroughly so that all the grains are washed out.
3. Pur some undiluted white vinegar into the base of your humidifier and allow it to sit there for about half an hour. After that, you can remove a build-up or residue by gently scrubbing it using a soft bristle brush. Rinse it thoroughly.
4. Try to disinfect the base using a mixture of a teaspoon of bleach and 1 gallon of water. Leave that mixture to remain there for about 30 minutes.
5. Gently spot clean the remaining pieces and thoroughly rinse the base, filter, and tank. You can wipe the frame of the humidifier using a sponge which you have to dip it into a mixture of water and vinegar. This will limit the debris and dust from entering the water tank of the humidifier and can prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.
6. After cleaning your humidifier, you can dry the parts, then start putting the parts together, then fill the water tank using cold water before you start to use it again. If you follow the above guide, you will be able to clean your humidifier properly, thereby be able to enjoy as you cool your house. So many people have tried why not you?
- Here’s a guide on how to clean your window air conditioner unit.